A Colorado couple has filed a lawsuit in the Dominican Republic against the hotel chain where at least four American tourists have died in the past year, alleging that they fell ill because of pesticides while staying at one of the chain’s properties last year.
The Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, the hotel where the couple — Kaylynn Knull and Tom Schwander — say they stayed, is where a Maryland couple was found dead in their room on May 30.
“I honestly believe the truth needs to be told,” Knull told the Denver Channel. “This sounds way too similar at the same resort.”
They said they opted to file the lawsuit, seeking $1 million, after the resort denied their request that they name the chemicals they use while gardening, or refund their money.
PENNSYLVANIA WOMAN, 51, DIED IN SIMILAR CIRCUMSTANCES AS THREE AMERICAN TOURISTS AT DOMINICAN RESORT A YEAR AGO
“As soon as we came back to the room, we noticed it smelled like somebody had dumped paint everywhere,” said Knull. “We were drooling excessively. My eyes would not stop watering.”
She continued: “That night, we both woke up soaked in sweat at like four in the morning and kind of terrified. And we booked a flight home before the sun came up.”
They said that once back home in the United States, a doctor diagnosed “likely organophosphate poisoning,” referring to pesticides. Knull speculated the chemicals are used on plants around the property.